Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Why cigars?

This is a question that I have been asked, and ask myself, Why do I smoke cigars? People often think of it as smelly and disgusting, they frown upon you. There are very few places where we can smoke cigars these days other than home or at a cigar store, so it not something that you can do in most social situations. I will be the first to admit that I do smell pretty bad after smoking a cigar at the store or even outside. So why would anyone in there right mind smoke a cigar?

Well, I have been thinking about this, and I can answer the question for me. It might not be the same for everyone out there who enjoys a nice cigar, but for me, I enjoy the peace of spending time with my cigar and my thoughts at the end of the day. Some times I am interested in a nice relaxing smoke, so I might reach for something milder, others I am looking for some excitement in my smoke, so a bold pepper bomb might be in order. Basically it is a way for me to enjoy the flavors and aroma of the cigar and reflect on the current day and what is to come. I often find myself reading a good book while smoking a cigar, and there is nothing that is more relaxing to me that reading a book, smoking an enjoyable cigar, and just being transported to the world of the novel that you are reading.

I often times (99%) smoke cigars on my front porch, and occasionally the neighbors swing by for a chat or something. None of them are cigar smokers so I usually put the cigar down to talk to them, then pick it back up and re-light (if needed). I think that while I am enjoying the cigar, I like to be focusing on the book and the cigar without any distractions, thus I don't smoke when talking to a neighbor. What's funny is that I like to herf with my cigar smoking buddies. I talk all the time here with a cigar in my mouth, and think nothing of it. Why is it different when I am smoking alone vs. with a group?

Well, I think it boils down to the fact that when I go to a herf, I know what to expect, talking and socializing. Really a herf is a gab fest for guys. If there was a show like "The View" for guys it would take place at a herf. I know that an I understand that. I think that my nightly cigar is my time to escape from work, and the day; a time to just unwind and enjoy myself. I think that the cigar represents that unwinding, and I cannot do that if I am talking to the neighbors.

So back the the original question, why do I smoke cigars, I'll tell you the answer...because I enjoy them. No other reason than that, I like them. So I care that I stink afterwards, nope. Do I care what other people think of me because I am smoking a cigar, nope. I have found something that I enjoy, that makes a nice time reading a book more enjoyable, and best of all, I have met a bunch of great guys thanks to cigars.

Now will this cold weather ever end so I can get back to enjoying a nice cigar on the front porch!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have put it better myself. "Why do I smoke cigars? Well duh, it's because I enjoy them."

It's so many things - the flavor, the aroma, the relaxation, the mellow pace, the friendships, etc., that come together and make this a uniquely enjoyable hobby.

doc8466 said...

As a fellow porch smoker, I finally caved in and bought a $50 heater to put under the card table I have on the porch so that I can be a bit more comfortable while enjoying my cigars. I endured and enjoyed even with temps below freezing, but so far I'm kicking myself for not getting this heater sooner!

See you on the porch!