Monday, January 19, 2009

Don Pepin Garica, Jeffery Deaver

Ah what a weekend! My son was in a great mood and I had a blast with him, and my wife and I spent a great time at the mall with him! I went out to a herf on Saturday and spent a nice time smoking some good cigars with some buddies, and to top it all off, my shipment of Don Pepin Garcia Blues arrived in the mail. All around a great weekend.

So why am I so excited about Don Pepin Garica cigars? Well, first, the man makes cigars for the experienced cigar smoker. Now what I mean by that is that there are way to many companies out there that cater to the new smoker by making mild or flavored cigars, and tend to shy away from the bolder spicier smokes. Not Pepin, his cigars start with a nice kick in the pants spice blast that really get the cigar starting on the right foot. Also his cigars are a work of art construction wise, there is the "triple cap" and each leaf look perfect. These are never tight, and always spot on draw wise. So if you are looking for a little bolder cigar, check out a Don Pepin Garcia and you will not be disappointed.

This weekend, I smoked a Pepin Cuban Classic (black label) and a Blue label. These are two of my all time favorite cigars. The black label was an older on and had all of the Great flavors that I love. There is something about this cigar that starts off with pepper and ends with a nice coffee or woodsy flavor that I really love. The new Pepin Black have something that is laking in my opinion. The blue was spot on with a perfect burn, nice reddish brown wrapper, and all of the peppery, spicy goodness that I come to enjoy. These cigars won't know your socks off powerhouse, but the flavors that you get from these beautiful cigars is something that will last forever.

As far as books go, I have sort of been slowing down because of the colder weather and the hard time I'm having getting outside to smoke a cigar. But, that being said, I finished the Jeffery Deaver "The Bodies Left Behind" and I have to say that it was better than I expected after reading some other reviews. This one was a departure from his normal Lincoln Rhyme novels, and mostly takes place in the forest that happens to be behind a grisly crime scene. Brynn McKenzie is the main player in this story and we learn about her past and her current issues with her husband and son while she is trying to save the life of a person she found at the crime scene. The story has many twists and turns, and while it might have been a little long in the chase through the forest, it does end up delivering in the end, and will keep you turning the pages.

I am currently reading Stuart Woods' "Santa Fe Dead" and I have to say that this is a very unrealistic novel from Woods, who although over the top at times, is usually creative enough to come up with plot lines that have a ring of truth to them. I'll let you know what I think when I am finished.

I am looking forward to John Grisham's newest "The Associate" as it seems like he is going to be getting back to his roots with a legal thriller like the ones that made him. Cannot wait!

Well, until next time, check out a Pepin, and pick up a good book.

No comments: